Oats bissi bele
Cooking time 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Cooking equipment required: Bowl, pressure cooker and Deep non-stick pan
Nutritional count per serving : 166 calories, 24.6 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm fat, 3.4 gm fibre
- ½ cup toovar dal
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped French beans
- ¼ cup chopped cauliflower
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon bissi bele masala powder
- 2 tablespoon tamarind water
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup oats
- Wash toovar dal, add it to a bowl with 1 cup of water and place it in a pressure cooker. Cook it for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure cooker has cooled down, remove the cooked dal and keep aside
- Make a tempering by heating oil in a deep no stick pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add onions and fry for 1 to 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add tomatoes, stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame
- Add French beans, cauliflower and ¼ cup of water. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes on medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder, and bissi bele masala powder and cook for 1 minute on medium flame. Make sure the masala doesn’t burn.
- Add cooked toovar dal, tamarind water, salt and 2 cups of water. Stir well and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add oats, stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This is an equally tasty version of bissi bele bhaat, made using fiber rich oats. You can now indulge into this one dish meal more often as ti also has the goodness of veggies.